Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: RIP Glen Fry  (Read 4579 times)

mini-me

• View Profile
RIP Glen Fry
« on: January 18, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »
with the recent passing of David Bowie ,once again the music work has been struck with another passing of an icon .Glen Fry, co-founder of the Eagles passed away today at the age of 67. I don't think there is s single person who has owned or still owns one or several of the Eagles albums. I personally own there entire collection on either 12'' vinyl or cd. Myself along with my wife ,both have ''concert'' history with both of these very talented  musicians. First concert we both went to ,back in 91, when we first moved out to the west coast was David Bowie. we were blessed to see him perform live songs from the Ziggy Stardust album. The song Bowie opened up the Show with was ''a space oddity'' ,a concert I have never nor will I ever forget.
About 3 or 4 years ago ,we got a line on a set of tickets for the Oakland Ca. concert of the Eagles ''Long Road out  of Eden ''tour. I Remember calling my wife and telling her that we have tickets for the show and how excited she got  knowing she was going to see her favorite band in the world .Seeing Joe Walsh ,Glen Fry, Don Henley and timothy b schmit live on stage  was one for the ages. Since that night in Oakland Ca, me and the wife have been so blessed to see the Eagles again on there ''History of the Eagles Tour'', Don Henley on a solo tour  and Don Felder 2 times on solo tours . So many memories listening too both of these 2 people , so many great songs.my heart is sadden that  not only the music world has lost of 2 of there greatest , the world itself has lost 2 of its greatest and most talented minds. 2 people who defined a generation with love and passion for the music we all come to enjoy ..

RIP Glen Fry and David Bowie ...you will be missed
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:03:12 AM by mini-me »

vettie

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator in Training
  • Life is norespawn, enjoy this round
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Glen Fry
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
sigh... :(
Life is no respawn, enjoy this round

D-Day

• Global Moderator
  • Hi mom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 07:28:50 PM »
The Eagles were a little before my time, so I can't say I have heard much of any of their music that wasn't *pop*.  :-[

However, I did like the Bowie (the Thin White Duke). I always likes how David Bowie was able to keep current (I especially liked this collaboration with Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPVrFIP0CMs). :(  :'(

D-Day

• Global Moderator
  • Hi mom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 06:57:19 PM »
I can't believe I just saw this, but wow... David Bowie and David Gilmore together on stage singing Pink Floyd!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM0Pl80Zf00

vettie

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 06:43:12 AM »
i think I saw where Greg Lake passed too
emerson, lake, well,  carl is still around

mini-me

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 08:12:38 AM »
yep he sure did....not to many of them left these days ...what really surprises me is that, the ones who are still around are in there very late 60's threw there mid 70's , have full tours going or lined up for the entire year.
the surviving members of Yes, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Kiss, The Beach Boys ,Pat Benatar, Heart ,Paul McCartney and Ringo Star, Rod Stewart, Stevie Nicks, Bruce Springsteen all still touring ..I just know there is a lot of ageing rock stars out there that we all grew up listening too are still producing music and touring .I took full advantage of  seeing all these wonderful people while living in California ,multiple times. I suggest you do the same , just don't how much longer these guys are goin to be with us

D-Day

• Global Moderator
  • Hi mom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 07:06:08 PM »
i think I saw where Greg Lake passed too
emerson, lake, well,  carl is still around

Yeah Chief, He, Carl Palmer, has a blurb on the home page of his website about Kieth Emerson and Greg Lake (my brother was a big Emerson, Lake, and Palmer fan):

http://www.carlpalmer.com/

yep he sure did....not to many of them left these days ...what really surprises me is that, the ones who are still around are in there very late 60's threw there mid 70's , have full tours going or lined up for the entire year.
the surviving members of Yes, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Kiss, The Beach Boys ,Pat Benatar, Heart ,Paul McCartney and Ringo Star, Rod Stewart, Stevie Nicks, Bruce Springsteen all still touring ..I just know there is a lot of ageing rock stars out there that we all grew up listening too are still producing music and touring .I took full advantage of  seeing all these wonderful people while living in California ,multiple times. I suggest you do the same , just don't how much longer these guys are goin to be with us

Yes Min, but most of these people would probably more of my brother's speed (I have heard of most of them before, but I'm not really a fan. However, I am a big Pink Floyd and David Bowie fan.) 

mini-me

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 07:56:53 AM »
was just throwing names out there , my point is that if  you have a chance to see anyone of your favorite bands from your childhood ,do so. I read yesterday that Billy Gibbons of zz top just turned 67 . they have a new live cd out and are touring Europe this year. Theses guys are not  getting any younger and for now ,are still touring . I always have this feeling in back of my head ,that one faithful day while  me and my wife are at a show that some one like ozzy or who ever will just have a massive heart attack on stage.
I had the pleasure of seeing David Bowie live back the 90's and 2 years ago Roger Waters brought his Wall Live tour to San Francisco, that my friends was a show I will never forget.

vettie

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 09:05:05 AM »
Mini's right about this.

The problem is, most of our team mates are not in the same age group (old men like me and mini and agent) so the attraction is not as strong with a few exceptions.

Many like Pink Floyd and the Rolling Stones, but few liked ELP, MotorHead, original Eagles and on and on.

I have seen Bob Dylan (met him in Minn.) a few times (even tho I dont care for his nasally vocals, he is still prolific in his writings and puts on a good show.

Eric Clapton is suffering something (like Parkinson's).

Gregg Allman is having health issues (canceling part of a tour due to illness)

The list goes on.

Here's the thing - these guys dont HAVE to keep touring and creating, they do it to keep themselves alive. Its what they have chosen to do.
Bear Bryant coached for MANY years. Thats what he did. When he quit, he died within a year. Many rockers are the same, if they quit, they might move to that stage in the sky.

Look at Warren Haynes - has his own band, there's Govt Mule, Allman brothers, special guests for many others. You think he needs the cash?
Ringo is regenerating his Allstar band for a tour this year
McCartney is putting one out there as well.

None of that is to make a living, its to keep themselves going - its what they know, its what they do..

As Mini said- if you get the chance, see these guys. They are professionals. They put on a really good show and the music is almost like what you hear on radio if you listen to classic rock. They create the music, not some pre-recorded whacka whacka stuff.

mini-me

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 09:13:11 AM »
yet another sad day for the music industry......
Bob Coburn, KLOS-FM deejay and host of nationally syndicated rock radio program "Rockline", has past away due to cancer .
I remember listening to the radio, when it was fun to listen to the radio way back when and enjoyed his show so much... Sunday nights, on WRNO 99.5 radio when they were still a rock station here in New Orleans, falling asleep listening to Rockline .......
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:51:43 PM by mini-me »

D-Day

• Global Moderator
  • Hi mom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 07:54:32 PM »
yet another sad day for the music industry......
Bob Coburn, KLOS-FM deejay and host of nationally syndicated rock radio program "Rockline", has past away due to cancer .
I remember listening to the radio, when it was fun to listen to the radio way back when and enjoyed his show so much... Sunday nights, on WRNO 99.5 radio when they were still a rock station here in New Orleans, falling asleep listening to Rockline .......

I know what you mean. There was a popular DJ in Philadelphia at WIOQ-FM named Ed Sciaky (Shockie)  who had a weekly Rock Line like radio show he produced himself. He used to have on rock icons he knew like Sting or Bruce Springsteen as well as local rock personalities and feature their respective bands.  His show (I cannot remember the name of it, I don't think it was Rock Line - maybe Buddha knows it) would go over the featured rock band's history. It too came on Sunday evenings at 9 PM until 11. I would try listen to the whole thing, but would usually fall asleep and I would as some friends at school the next day who would (hopefully) fill me in on what I missed. I loved to listen to that show (sometimes my mom would catch me in be listening with head phones on - it never dawned on me to cover the light on my brother's stereo so it wouldn't give me away). I believe Ed passed about 15 years ago.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:05:16 PM by D-Day »

Enterprise © Bloc