Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: 1st Rant!  (Read 5844 times)

vettie

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator in Training
  • Life is norespawn, enjoy this round
    • View Profile
1st Rant!
« on: August 09, 2012, 11:55:11 AM »
This is about MWO (and some bad luck)

So a couple of years ago (? maybe, crap I dont remember), I boughts myself a really nice laptop.

It has 4 gig Ram, a 2.5ghz dual core AMD cpu and an AMD/ATI Radeon 4250 (chip).

It plays MW4 GREAT!!!! plus some others like Veng and Black Knight and Megamek and MechCommander and well thats pretty much all I play. It also did all the other things I needed in a laptop, nice big screen, built in number pad, large HDD and DVD burner.

It doesnt meet MWO SPECS (CPU not enough and Vid chip not enough)!!!

To top all that off, I was gonna save up for a new machine (I remember a day when i would just go order the shit and build me one, but now I gotta save). We had a pretty bad TStorm come thru here this past weekend. I was on my old XP Gamer machine (still not enough for MWO) and lightning strikes very close by. Power goes out (for about 20 minutes).

When the storm passes and power is restored, I am a little concerned about me gamer being smacked even tho on a surge protector (nice one). To my surprise, it starts right up and works just fine. However, my olde server machine (I now use it as a testbed machine to check out crap before putting any software on my old gamer or my new laptop) seems to be zapped. It was NOT on and plugged into the SAME surge protector as my other (gamer) machine.

When I hit the power button, the front panel lights up as does one of the internal fans, but that seems to be about it. I am thinking power supply, but it could be more. Cant check it out unless I replace the power supply. Its an old 2.4ghz dual core 1 gig ram XP machine, but it worked and worked great, now, not so much.

So, no PC capable of playing MWO and also down 1 pc that I used to work on other peoples machines as well as my own. Really sux.

From what I have read, gathered and Dev statements, MWO is pretty CPU intensive. They highly suggest Quad core CPU

I been looking at Tiger and NewEgg and price wise/performance I am thinking AMD Quad Core if I ever get up the cashola. I have had very could success with AMD in the past (in fact, I have only owned about 3 different Intel based machines). Price wise, they are MUCH less than Intel and the performance is only a wee bit less (especially for 2oo to 300$ diff in price). Will shoot for 6 to 8gb Ram and I will most likely go with an NVidia GPU. I already have a GREAT sound card and speaker system and probably enough fans out of my old (non working server and currently working old gamer) to keep it very cool inside.

I will still need to buy a copy of Win 7. I have one on my Laptop, but it did not come with a disc (cheap bastards), only a recovery section on the HDD and my backup discs I created when i bought it.

Based on all the above info, it will be awhile before Ole Vettie can get into MWO.
Boo!

So in the mean time, its MW4Mercs and some MegaMek.
Life is no respawn, enjoy this round

Smagaman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Rant!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 03:14:20 PM »
It sounds to me that it is your power supply also.  From the sound of it, it is not passing the Power Good signal to the motherboard, which is why it is not attempting to even boot up.  If you have a power supply tester you can verify.  Of course I have one here, but I don't think that will help too much, unless you want to visit me Old Man!!!   :D

I am in the process of setting up my new Dell desktop just for MWO.  I went crazy.  But in the end I think it will be worth it as I keep my desktops running for 5 years.

Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:22:48 PM »
Well I need a frikin new joc before I can even smell the game! :o
Agent Seraphin

D-Day

• Global Moderator
  • Hi mom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:23:22 PM »
This is about MWO (and some bad luck)

So a couple of years ago (? maybe, crap I dont remember), I boughts myself a really nice laptop.

It has 4 gig Ram, a 2.5ghz dual core AMD cpu and an AMD/ATI Radeon 4250 (chip).

It plays MW4 GREAT!!!! plus some others like Veng and Black Knight and Megamek and MechCommander and well thats pretty much all I play. It also did all the other things I needed in a laptop, nice big screen, built in number pad, large HDD and DVD burner.

It doesnt meet MWO SPECS (CPU not enough and Vid chip not enough)!!!

To top all that off, I was gonna save up for a new machine (I remember a day when i would just go order the shit and build me one, but now I gotta save). We had a pretty bad TStorm come thru here this past weekend. I was on my old XP Gamer machine (still not enough for MWO) and lightning strikes very close by. Power goes out (for about 20 minutes).

When the storm passes and power is restored, I am a little concerned about me gamer being smacked even tho on a surge protector (nice one). To my surprise, it starts right up and works just fine. However, my olde server machine (I now use it as a testbed machine to check out crap before putting any software on my old gamer or my new laptop) seems to be zapped. It was NOT on and plugged into the SAME surge protector as my other (gamer) machine.

When I hit the power button, the front panel lights up as does one of the internal fans, but that seems to be about it. I am thinking power supply, but it could be more. Cant check it out unless I replace the power supply. Its an old 2.4ghz dual core 1 gig ram XP machine, but it worked and worked great, now, not so much.

So, no PC capable of playing MWO and also down 1 pc that I used to work on other peoples machines as well as my own. Really sux.

From what I have read, gathered and Dev statements, MWO is pretty CPU intensive. They highly suggest Quad core CPU

I been looking at Tiger and NewEgg and price wise/performance I am thinking AMD Quad Core if I ever get up the cashola. I have had very could success with AMD in the past (in fact, I have only owned about 3 different Intel based machines). Price wise, they are MUCH less than Intel and the performance is only a wee bit less (especially for 2oo to 300$ diff in price). Will shoot for 6 to 8gb Ram and I will most likely go with an NVidia GPU. I already have a GREAT sound card and speaker system and probably enough fans out of my old (non working server and currently working old gamer) to keep it very cool inside.

I will still need to buy a copy of Win 7. I have one on my Laptop, but it did not come with a disc (cheap bastards), only a recovery section on the HDD and my backup discs I created when i bought it.

Based on all the above info, it will be awhile before Ole Vettie can get into MWO.
Boo!

So in the mean time, its MW4Mercs and some MegaMek.

Chief, I built my own system form parts (Newegg FTW). However, I will most likely just use my present MW 3.1 (this PC just makes the minimum specs).  :o

vettie

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 12:29:28 AM »
It sounds to me that it is your power supply also.  From the sound of it, it is not passing the Power Good signal to the motherboard, which is why it is not attempting to even boot up.  If you have a power supply tester you can verify.  Of course I have one here, but I don't think that will help too much, unless you want to visit me Old Man!!!   :D

I am in the process of setting up my new Dell desktop just for MWO.  I went crazy.  But in the end I think it will be worth it as I keep my desktops running for 5 years.

I do have an even older desktop that has Win XP and an old Ubuntu install on it (8.something). It works, just real old.
900mhz cpu, 512ram , 120gb hdd, 40gb hdd, soundblaster live card and it even has a floppy drive. Old Gigabyte mobo amd not such what power supply thinking Antec (since that is what I usually buy) Might have to pull the Power supply out of it and put it in the old server to see if that does it.
I got an old HP desk top with Win 98, 192mb ram, 466 CPU, 12gb HDD, floppy and a Sound blaster 128 sound card. I use it to play all the old MW2 series of games. still works great, lol

D-Day

• Global Moderator
  • Hi mom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »

I do have an even older desktop that has Win XP and an old Ubuntu install on it (8.something). It works, just real old.
900mhz cpu, 512ram , 120gb hdd, 40gb hdd, soundblaster live card and it even has a floppy drive. Old Gigabyte mobo amd not such what power supply thinking Antec (since that is what I usually buy) Might have to pull the Power supply out of it and put it in the old server to see if that does it.
I got an old HP desk top with Win 98, 192mb ram, 466 CPU, 12gb HDD, floppy and a Sound blaster 128 sound card. I use it to play all the old MW2 series of games. still works great, lol

That should work for a test, wouldn't it?

Smagaman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 11:49:18 AM »
I also think like D-Day that you should be able to just pull out that power supply for testing purposes.  Then you will know where the issue is so you can fix it. 

vettie

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 09:10:50 AM »
Yeah.

I am thinking that the old XP 900mhz machine's power supply will most likely work in the olde server machine.

Power supplies are a bugger to swap out sometimes. I might have to almost completely disassemble one or both machines to get the power supplies out then in again. With my back and the bending and or lifting it aint as fun as it used to be, lol.

I really hate it that the one got screwed, hope it isnt the motherboard, and it could be, but hopefully not.

Been thinking about doing partial buys, you know buy the new CPU and fan, then, buy a mobo, then buy a power supply and so on a little at a time until I got enough things to build a new gamer. Problem with that is the technology changes and footprints of the cpu slots / mobos to match. I might get a great deal on a CPU and then by the time I get enough loose cash to buy mobo there may not be one with that type of slot ....

Would really love a SSD drive, but I still think they are not quite ready to put your trust into to keep all your data in altho they are rapidly climbing with lower failure rates than even 6 mos ago. This is something else I dont understand, the basic principle of a SSD is the SAME as it is for mp3 players and those have been around for years and work for years. I got an old Sansa (bought for one of my kids) that is 8 or more yrs old and works like new.

Another thing with SSD is the price vs size. Altho price is dropping, to get a 500gb SSD, you can get up to 3 std Sata drives of the same size or even a couple 1TB... but that is changing rapidly.

Ahhh who knows... Something will break loose here and I will get up the cash and build a machine that last me another 7 or 8 years (like Smaga, I build em to last ME for a long, long time and I just dont play many CPU/GPU intensive games, I just do stupid shit like accounting, band bookings, contacts, guitar sales, Tax records (speaking of which, di you guys know that I have 12 black kids under the age of 13 for tax purposes? LOL jk))

Enterprise © Bloc