Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: I'm having a bad day...  (Read 3507 times)

Hugh Manatee

• View Profile
I'm having a bad day...
« on: March 10, 2014, 09:35:08 PM »
My grandma died earlier to day, just slumped over waiting for breakfast, passed out in mom's arms and never woke up. I was at the library at the time, I get back about noon and EMTs and police are swarming around the house asking questions about how she died... being that she had a doctor phobia, like we say you need to see a doctor, she'd throw a fit like we asked if she wanted scorpions in her pants, she wasn't under observation or some shit like that so i'm watching them grill my mom on her eating habits, why she's not on meds and bunch of shit... The irony here is that we actually did manage to convince her to get checked out by this place that does house calls, took reconnecting with an estranged son to do it but like a few hours after we started making calls to verify the health care shit, she just dropped dead...

So here's the situation, for the past decade or so I and my mother's lives have basically revolved around trying to keep her out of a home, from our daily scheduled which revolves around here eating habits, to the places we live(accessibility), to the jobs we could take(someones got to make her a sandwich and tune in her radio make sure she dont fall...). Her death leaves us with a lot of free time in which to pursue employment, however the loss of her pension leaves our household with a gap in income. We have prospects but it may be going to get rough round here for awhile. I haven't been on in prime time as much as I've wanted to lately, been getting some quick rounds in the daytme or latenight, but now I may have even less time.

Now I got to ask a huge favor, as i said basically staying home to look after the family has left me with a spotty work history and a lack of references. I'm sure there's entry level work around here, but most job applications ask for contacts that aren't related(which when you're sole goal in life has been to make ham sandwiches and meatloaf and make sure gram doesnt trip on the way to the can and fill the free time with stompy explodey robots you don't really come by...) so I was wondering if there's any chance I could use some of you guys as references.

If anyone has advice or wisdom at this point I could use it, shit's getting bleak...

vettie

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator in Training
  • Life is norespawn, enjoy this round
    • View Profile
Re: I'm having a bad day...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 07:39:41 AM »
I am sorry to hear that

Bless you man, prayers for you and your family.

Check your PMs

Life is no respawn, enjoy this round

PoLaR

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 12:51:31 PM »
My thoughts are with you and your mother Hugh,

Sorry to hear about your loss, It sounds like you did so much for your grandmother and I'm sure she really appreciated all of the things you've done even if its something as small as making a sandwich as a daily routine. I'm afraid I wouldn't be a good reference as I have no phone and am in the great north, but I imagine some of the guys here would be able to accommodate that. Chin up man, It may seem pretty dark at times, but things will always get better. You will get a job and get some income in the go. It might take some time and effort, but you can do it man!

We are here for ya,

~Tye

candun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 04:14:51 PM »
words cant say how sorry i am to hear of your loss.loosing someone close to you is always a difficult thing. have you considered the past few years has been a job and you could continue to do it domestic caregivers get decent pay

Smagaman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 05:48:21 PM »
Sorry to hear about your loss Hugh.  Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out.

Smaga

Hugh Manatee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 06:46:48 PM »
words cant say how sorry i am to hear of your loss.loosing someone close to you is always a difficult thing. have you considered the past few years has been a job and you could continue to do it domestic caregivers get decent pay
Well on the one hand one of the openings around here is n fact in the cafeteria/dishwasher of a rehab/assisted living place, on the other my mom used to work as a receptionist in a place like that... it was heavy, ambulance came like every other hour, people dying all the time. I mentioned my grandma was whatever the opposite of a hypochondriac is and that was one of the reasons, she was terrified of a home... I mean I'm likely going to apply at it and other places for sure but still... As an actual registered nurse or caregiver, I don't think I have the heart to go through that again...

There's also a smoke shop (http://planetktexas.com/) like a 15-20 minute walk from my place that's got a hiring sign out front, I was going to(and still am) going to apply there when it hit the fan, it looks like an interesting retail environment. I've never smoked anything in my life, though I'm sure I can sell the shit... i mean tobacco sells itself right? I know how E-cigs, pipes, hookas and all that shit works, just not how it taste, it would just be a matter of googling the inventory to get reviews on flavors and trends. Also I'm pretty sure I got smoke wafting out of my headset after a night on hashman's comms so i'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge I can tap...

Like I said, I got prospects, this i a college town, most of the labor pool is temp students who leave at the breaks but I can go full time as a local, just got to get in the pool.

StrataDragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »
Damn man sorry to hear, hope you guys get back on yall feet real soon. Prayers goes out to you and your family.

Lusankya

• Moderator in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »
That's pretty rough Hugh, I hope you get back on your feet soon bud :).

D-Day

• Global Moderator
  • Hi mom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »
I am sorry to hear that.

Bless you, prayers for you and your family.

CowCrusher9

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 08:01:55 PM »
My thoughts are with you and yours.
Cow standing by to assist if needed.

Enterprise © Bloc