Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Monitor  (Read 8657 times)

vettie

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator in Training
  • Life is norespawn, enjoy this round
    • View Profile
Monitor
« on: January 27, 2013, 08:47:59 AM »
Well Vetties lil 17" wide screen is trying to bite the dust.

Boooo

Ol Vettie gotta buy a new one.

Some where in the 20 to 23" range.

Money is NO object  - because I DONT HAVE ANY!!! - so keep it reasonable

Suggestions??

I was thinking this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236100
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:54:14 AM by vettie »
Life is no respawn, enjoy this round

Smagaman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:46:06 PM by Smagaman »

vettie

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Monitor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:34:13 PM »
How about this old man. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254080

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824118004

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160067

Problem with those is Zalman or AOC I have not heard much about. The Hanns doesnt have HDMI connection. The AOC doesnt have DVI connection.
So I dont mind spending a lil more to get good quality from someone / company that I know and trust.

Acer - BenQ
HP /Dell - Samsung or Panasonic and sometimes BenQ or LG
Samsung - Samsung
BenQ - BenQ
ViewSonic - ViewSonic
LG - LG
Planar - Planar
Lenovo - LG or Samsung

I am not sure who builds ASUS for them but they offer a great warranty.

SO I like

Asus
BenQ
LG
Samsung
ViewSonic

Not so much in that order....

Smagaman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:56:34 AM »

D-Day

• Global Moderator
  • Hi mom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »
Here is another couple options.  I am trying to save you money.   :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009408

I have a 26" version of the Acer and it rocks!   :)

vettie

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »
Here is another couple options.  I am trying to save you money.   :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009408

I have a 26" version of the Acer and it rocks!   :)

I appreciate the cost watch Smag

Thing is, I have less then 200$ I can do.

As far as a refurb monitor - the only thing's' that be fixed are - the screen replaced, the power supply - replaced - the power switch - replaced. Unless it has speakers ( i dont care about speakers either way).

I found a nice Viewsonic locally for about 100$ Its a 23" with a 5ms gray to gray response and a 1000 to 1 ratio contrast. Pretty nice...but it is used. The place has in store warranty for 1yr even if I just dont like it, they will refund. So I am heavily considering it, but I want new, wah, whine, wah, whine, lol

Hugh Manatee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 04:26:57 PM »
For the record, I'm playing on an old CRT 14-16 inch(on the diagonal) gateway monitor that came with some old intel celeron from like 15 years ago. The top centimeter or so is like "peeled" downwards in lines that overlap the top inch whee the picture starts.

TBH I need to get a new TV too, I still have this old phillips non HD job. It's 26" on the diagonal, and has good sound, and had good video for the N64/PS2/Game Cube era, but having to use this stupid converter box is getting to me. Also lately, the picture seems to just go out. The power will still be on and if I switch the channels it will come back, and if I sit there and mash the channel flip for about 5 minutes or so it will stay on, like it has to warm up for the picture to stay on, but sometimes it will just randomly go dark.... and I'll have to hit the recall button for awhile again...

Bottom line, Can I kill 2 birds with 1 stone here? Get a TV/Monitor type thing, or do they not do that yet?

vettie

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 06:39:55 PM »
For the record, I'm playing on an old CRT 14-16 inch(on the diagonal) gateway monitor that came with some old intel celeron from like 15 years ago. The top centimeter or so is like "peeled" downwards in lines that overlap the top inch whee the picture starts.

TBH I need to get a new TV too, I still have this old phillips non HD job. It's 26" on the diagonal, and has good sound, and had good video for the N64/PS2/Game Cube era, but having to use this stupid converter box is getting to me. Also lately, the picture seems to just go out. The power will still be on and if I switch the channels it will come back, and if I sit there and mash the channel flip for about 5 minutes or so it will stay on, like it has to warm up for the picture to stay on, but sometimes it will just randomly go dark.... and I'll have to hit the recall button for awhile again...

Bottom line, Can I kill 2 birds with 1 stone here? Get a TV/Monitor type thing, or do they not do that yet?

Yep

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002779

Lusankya

• Moderator in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:18:15 AM »
I think most TVs now have at least 1 HDMI connection for hooking up a console/computer. I tried hooking up my 32" Samsung the other day and it worked pretty good but I've found it is easier on my eyes just to use my 21.5" computer monitor. I was going to say if you look around at some local computer stores you might be able to find some good deals bit it looks like you already did :). That's how I got my monitor at close to half price at an annual sale a local store was having.

PoLaR

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 09:48:41 AM »
The local deal for 100 bones sounds pretty decent vettie. Especially with a 1 year warranty.. It would be pretty unfortunate If It got busted after the year was up though.

I get most of my goodies on newegg, as you guys have been posting. Some pretty good deals there as well.

This is my current setup:

I use the 27" BENQ as my main monitor and use the 23" LG as my secondary (usually for music and browsing the web usually when i have MWO open on my main).
The BENQ has built in speakers but they are absolute garbage. External speakers are the way to go.

Keep us updated, lots of choices so far!

EDIT: Sorry the image is so large lol

vettie

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 10:46:19 AM »
Yeah MOST, not all, but most built speakers on a monitor suck. IF youi dont have anything, then its not so bad, but separate speakers are the way to go.

On my system, I have a creative X-Fi Xtreme Music Card that I bought long ago and keep moving it from system to upgraded system.
I was looking at a Xonar Card from Asus, but I got this one to work in Win 7.
Prolly the last year for it. They discontinued this model some time ago, but it frickin rocks for music.
I have a Logitec 4.1 sound system that came with 4 speakers (that sound pretty awesome) and a 12" sub woofer that will knock you down.

Being that I am a part owner in a music store, we gets lots of pro equipment in on trades (as well as cheap stuff, lol)
I traded an Alesis equalizer for a portable mixing station and in return I got a pair of Bose Pro Studio Monitors (Studio 301's).
These lil rascals are only about 10 to 12" tall, but OMG do they sound awesome. they are incredible. They sell for about 300 to 400$ ea.
So I thought, hmmm, I wonder if they will work with my PC? I brought them home and hooked them up.
THe lil Logitech sound thing is 100w per channel, but the Bose are rated for 250w so I figure they good on power.
I cranked up the PC and put on some FLAC files (rarely use MP3, FLAC is cleaner and less compression).
HOLY SHIT. I had to turn the thing down to 2 (out of 10 altho my amps go to 11) just to hear anything other than music blasting.
I normally ran the setup at 4.
The lil Bose have a new home now. Nestled nicely on each corner of my (big) desk about 6' apart slightly angled toward center.

Let me tell you, when an Atlas comes stomping, it COMES STOMPING. I wish I had 2 more of these to complete the surround type sound.
My Logitech controller will let me simulate surround sound, but its not the same.

So I will prolly snag the Viewsonic today or tomorrow. I am traveling to Huntsville later today.
I am going to look at what they have and see if there are any good 'open box' deals or 'sales'.

I do have a 42" flat screen with HDMI and 1080p I could try but it too frickin big, lol

Lusankya

• Moderator in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »
42" would be a little too big for me too lol :). The 32" TV I have runs MWO pretty smooth but it is a 1366x768, I highly doubt it would run as smooth at 1080p. I usually use the TV as the secondary :). If they have some decent open box deals or display models for sale that might be pretty good.

vettie

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 05:23:21 PM »
Ok, so the search is complete.

I went to the local store today to sang the 100$ deal as it seemed to be my best buy for the $.

I get there and ask for the pretty little lady that had helped me before. Heather comes from the office area looking really sweet.

She turns red. Then she says. "You're gonna hate me. I know I told you on the phone we still had that monitor, but..."

I said "But you sold it, right?"

"Yeah, I am sorry..." she says with those pouty lil lips and those nice boobs staring me in the face...

I said "But Heather, I just called less than an hour ago." But I was thinking how good she would look goin down on me.

She says "wait right there". and she bounced back off to the office. I see her talking with some old fuck and they both come out.

The guy says "Hi, I am" whatever the fuck he said his name was cause I was still staring at Heather and not really listening to him until he said
"I can let you have a new one for the same price since we sort of screwed up."

I said "A new one for 100$ with warranty and all?"

He said "Yes sir."

I pulled out my wallet and handed them a Benjamin Franklin and waited why they wrote up the deal / info.

Then Heather says "But its gonna cost you a little more."

I said "What? How MUCH more?"

She says "Dinner and maybe a movie or something."

So I walk out with a new monitor and next week, Heather and I will be going to dinner...

Oh, the monitor? Its a ViewSonic 22", 30k (3000 to 1 contrast ratio), 5ms gray to gray response time, 2 year warranty.

Its nice. Really nice

D-Day

• Global Moderator
  • Hi mom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »

So I walk out with a new monitor and next week, Heather and I will be going to dinner...

Way to go Chief!  :-*

Lusankya

• Moderator in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 05:55:19 PM »
The titanium cane isn't slowing "cool man" vettie down one bit :). Hot neighbour woman and a hot computer store woman, I salute you good sir <S>.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:57:17 PM by Lusankya »

Enterprise © Bloc